Current Affair dated: 01.10.2020
1. INC to launch 'Kisan Yatra' from Punjab against Farm Laws on October 2, Rahul Gandhi will join the Farmers
The Indian National Congress (INC) is launching a 'Kisan Yatra' from Punjab against the recent farm reform bills, it will begin from Punjab's Sangrur district and will end in Delhi covering various districts of Punjab and Haryana and is expected to start from October 2. Former Congress President and Lok Sabha MP Rahul Gandhi is scheduled to join the protest.
The Indian Parliament had recently passed three farm reform bills - Farmer's (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020, Farmer's Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 and the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill 2020.
All the three bills received assent from President Ram Nath Kovind and came into effect from September 27.
Despite protests from the Opposition Parties and Farmers all over the country, they could not prevent the passage of the bills in the Parliament.
2. South Eastern Railway launches ‘Operation My Saheli’
The South Eastern Railways (SER) launched a project, “Operation My Saheli” to enhance the security of women passengers travelling from the train.
About Operation My Saheli:
- A team of Women Sub Inspectors briefed the women passengers on the safety precautions and provided emergency contact numbers.
- The team will collect the information such as seat number and contact information of the women passengers and will remain in contact throughout the journey.
- The collected information will be passed to the stations at the destination and scheduled stoppage stations.
3. Indian Bank launched Green-Tech Initiative “IB-eNote”
Indian Bank has launched a Green-Tech initiative named “IB-eNote” to enable a total paperless working environment. This will enable processing and tracking of notes put up by various offices digitally.
- The IB-eNote facility is likely to considerably,save the cost of paper, printing and other administrative expenses.
- IB-eNote is one of the Bank’s many initiatives to promote digital transformation and to address new-gen customers to serve them.
- The bank with this initiative is taking another step to achieve greater efficiency by continuously empowering its biggest asset(human resources/ staff members).
4. DGCA extends ban on international flights till October 31
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has decided to extend the suspension of scheduled international commercial passenger services to and from India till October 31, 2020. However, as per the governing body, the international cargo flights and passenger flights approved by the government will continue to operate. DGCA also added that the international scheduled flights may be allowed on selected routes on case to case basis.
Arun Kumar, DGCA Chief had earlier informed that the full-fledged resumption of international flight operations will depend on the state of the pandemic all over the world as lot countries are still enforcing quarantine measures. It will take some time to have fully operative international flights.
5. India, Bangladesh conducts Joint Consultative Commission meeting, announces to hold PM level virtual summit in December 2020
The Ministry of External Affairs informed on 29 September 2020, that PM Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina will hold a virtual bilateral summit in December 2020.
The Ministry also informed that the entire gamut of bilateral relations between the two nations was reviewed during the 6th round of Joint Consultative Commission (JCC) meeting on September 29, 2020. It was co-chaired by Dr. S. Jaishankar and Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen.During the meet, the External Affairs Minister emphasized the importance of Bangladesh in India’s ‘Neighbourhood First’ Policy and reiterated the commitment of India to prioritize the supply of COVID-19 vaccine to Bangladesh.
6. 6th JCC meet between India and Bangladesh
Highlights of 6th JCC meet between India and Bangladesh:
• The ministers from both the nations reiterated their commitment to the finalization of the agreement for sharing the waters of Teesta and also underscored the need for the early conclusion of Framework of Interim Agreement on sharing the waters of six other joint rivers namely, Muhuri, Manu, Gumti, Khowai, Dudhkumar and Dharla.
• Both the ministers jointly unveiled a commemorative postal stamp issued by the Bangladesh Government on the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
• External Affairs Minister, S. Jaishankar also announced India’s decision to launch a commemorative postal stamp on the occasion of birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibar Rahman on December 16, 2020.
• During the meet, the ministers also noted the discussions on the border management and security in the recently conducted 50th Director-General Level Talks (DGLT)between BGB and BSF in Dhaka.
• The Ministry of External Affairs also informed that both the countries have also agreed to initiate ‘air travel bubble’ flights to meet the requirements of travellers.
• Both the nations also agreed to take forward the cooperation in energy sector, including the third- party projects.
• The request from Bangladesh was also made for informing in advance of the amendments in the export policy that the Indian government may take that can impact India’s export of essential commodities to Bangladesh.
7. Proposal for Annual Defence Dialogue between India and Bangladesh
During the 6th JCC Meeting, both India and Bangladesh expressed satisfaction at the increasing pace of defence cooperation including in exchanges, training and capacity building. The ministers also welcomed the proposal to hold the next meeting of the Annual Defence Dialogue in November 2020.
The External Affairs Minister, S. Jaishankar thanked Bangladesh for supporting India in its election to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
8. Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launches “ASIIM”
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launched the “Ambedkar Social Innovation and Incubation Mission (ASIIM)”.
The objective of this fund is to provide concessional finance to the entities of the SC entrepreneurs. Under the Venture Capital Fund for Scheduled Castes (SCs), 117 companies promoted by SC entrepreneurs have been sanctioned financial assistance to set up business ventures.
9. Kiren Rijiju launches new logo of Sports Authority of India
The Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju has launched the new logo of Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) on 30 September 2020 at Delhi’s Major Dhyan Chand Stadium.
About SAI logo:
- The new logo of SAI features a flying figure which indicates the freedom of an athlete.
- The figure features the Indian Tricolour and the blue colour of the chakra.
- The logo signifies SAI’s journey of metamorphosis from identifying and nurturing grassroots level sporting talent to creating sporting excellence in the country.
- Director-General of SAI: Sandip Pradhan.
- Sports Authority of India was established in 1984.
10. International Day of Older People: 1st October
International Day of Older Persons is observed globally on 1st October every year. The year 2020 marks the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations and the 30th Anniversary of the International Day of Older Persons. The International Day of Older Persons is an opportunity to highlight the important contributions that older people make to society and raise awareness of the opportunities and challenges of ageing in today’s world.
The theme of International Day of Older Persons 2020: Pandemics: Do They Change How We Address Age and Ageing?