Current Affairs Dated 31-10-2020
1. Telangana CM launches ‘Dharani’ Portal
On October 31.2020, "Dharani" portal was launched by the Telangana Chief Minister, K Chandrasekhar Rao.
What will be the functions of the Dharani Portal?
- This portal will have all the records of land and property-related transactions as well as documentation and all the information will be stored online. Also the Government is expecting that the launch of this portal will simplify the process of registration, succession & even partition (properties-realted issues, that is divided among a single family) to the extent that the e-pattadar passbook will be provided to the landowners immediately.
2. $1 bn credit extended by India to the Central Asian countries
India-Central Asia Dialogue's second meeting was held virtually, under the chairmanship of the External Affairs Minister of India Dr S Jaishankar, where India declared taht it will extend a credit of US $1 billion for - “priority developmental projects” in Central Asian countries.
The major focus of this investment would be to develop the - connectivity, energy, IT, healthcare, education, agriculture.
India also offered to provide grant assistance for implementation of High Impact Community Development Projects - HICDP for furthering socio-economic development in the countries of the region.
Who all Attended this meeting?
In total 5 countries attended the meeting:
- We must note that the Acting Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan also attended the meeting as a special invitee.
3. India to import potatoes from Bhutan
According to The Directorate General of Foreign Trade, The Indian government on October 29, 2020 has allowed the import of 10 lakh tonnes of potatoes to moderate the rising prices of patatoes in the country. The centre will now be importing 30,000 tonnes of fresh and chilled potatoes from Bhutan without any license till January 31, 2021.
4. Keshubhai Patel passes away
Keshubhai Savdasbhai Pate, Former Chief Minister of Gujarat, passed away.
He was born on 24 July 1928 and had served as the Chief Minister of the state for a few months in 1995 and then from March 1998 to October of 2001.
He was a six-time member of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly. He was a member of RSS since 1940s, of Bharatiya Jana Sangh in 1960s, Janata Party in 1970s, and the Bhartiya Janta Party - BJP from 1980.
He then left the BJP in 2012 and formed the Gujrat Parivartan Party.
5. Om Puri won the Lifetime Achievement Award
Om Puri, Late Indian actor (18 October 1950 – 6 January 2017) was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the India International Film Festival of Boston - IIFFB 2020.
The film festival was held in Boston, USA.
Who is On Puri?
Om Puri, was an Indian Film Actor who was born in Ambala, Haryana and who was noted for his compelling performances in a wide range of roles in - Hindi, Punjabi, British, and American films.
Famous works of Om Puri:
1. Ardh Satya (1983)
2. City of Joy (1992)
3. Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983)
6. Vikas Khanna won the Pride of India Award
The Indian Chef Vikas Khanna, won the “Pride of India Award” at the India International Film Festival of Boston - IIFFB 2020.
What is IIFFB?
India International Film Festival of Boston is a three-day film festival, based in Boston, USA.
Who is Vikas Khanna?
Vikas Khanna was born 14 November 1971, he is an Indian chef, restaurateur, cookbook writer, filmmaker and humanitarian. He is one of the judges of Star Plus series MasterChef India.
7. Sean Connery Passes Away
Sean Connery, a Scottish actor and produces who's most famous work is James Bond, passed away at the age of 90 on October 31, 2020. He will always be remembered as British agent 007.
The character was created by novelist - Ian Fleming and immortalized by Connery in seven James Bond films between 1962 and 1983.
8. PM inaugurates seaplane service from Sabarmati riverfront to Kevadia
On 31.10.2020 The occassion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2020 was celebrated at the Statue Of Unity, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that a seaplane service from Sabarmati Riverfront to Kevadia will be started from today, 31.10.2020. The service has been started by the government to boost tourism in the area.